Friday, June 09, 2006


This one is rather a private experience but thought of putting it here.

Was in a train from Chennai to Madurai and a lower berth for me was indeed a luxury. Have been looking for it in recent times so that I could sleep with my baggage right under the berth. And I had it this time without having asked for it. My fellow travellers were an elderly couple and they were still discussing the pranks their grandchild was playing. Well, I heard the gentleman requesting the TTE for a lower berth somewhere; he said he had a problm with his shoulder joint and that getting on to the berth on top was a problem.

And then I offered him my berth and wondered why he did not ask me earlier. He said: ``I would have if you were a young man. I suppose you will have difficulties climbing up given your age.''

I thought of telling him that I am not that old and that my son is still in high school. But decided not to and simply smiled at him. And got to to the berth on top. Recalled Priti wanting to know about my role in the JP movement and someone else asking as to where I was held during the emergency!!!!!

Hmmm. I was just an infant during the glorious sixties, just in my teens during the emergency and could be part of whatever happened in Delhi during the Eighties.... agitating against Rajiv Gandhi's corruption, his New Education Policy and then pontificating against the BJP through the nineties.... Did I have a choice?

In any case, you don't agitate in ideal situations. You have to agitate in situations you land in. And I know I am just shying away and taking the easier way out. And ofcourse pontificating all the way.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir, this one reads agelessly charming

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home